AirAsia Victim Families in Shock, Anger as Mourning Begins – Bloomberg

Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Families of the 162 people aboard the AirAsia Bhd. airliner that crashed three days ago broke into tears and anguished wails as authorities confirmed that debris found off the coast of Borneo was from Flight 8501.

Shock ensued at Juanda Airport’s makeshift crisis center in the Indonesian city of Surabaya as people fainted. One person was taken from the waiting room by a stretcher. Some reacted in anger, with one AirAsia employee railing at a television reporter whose station showed footage of a bloated and nearly naked corpse bobbing up and down on the waves. There has been no mention of survivors.

Divers in Indonesia today prepared to search for the fuselage and rescue workers pulled more bodies from the sea as investigators shift their focus to figuring out what caused the Airbus Group NV A320 plane to crash into the ocean near Pangkalan Bun, about 1,000 kilometers (620 miles) southeast of Singapore.

The passengers’ families, who join the growing number of mourners in the airline industry’s deadliest year since 2010, were lining up today to give DNA samples that would help in identifying the victims.

Among those grieving was Hendrik Theodoros, whose brother Hendra, a 44-year-old businessman, was on the ill-fated flight with his wife, 20-year-old son and teenage daughter. They were going to Singapore for medical check-ups and to spend a year-end holiday.

“We hoped they would come back,” said Theodoros, 51, as tears started to well in his eyes. “Life still has to go on.”

Turning to Religion

Hanny Layan Tara, 52, senior pastor and founder of the Happy Family Center church in Surabaya, said at least 15 church members and their relatives were on the flight, including his close friend Soetikno Sia. The businessman and his wife planned to spend the new year in Singapore, leaving behind a son in Surabaya and two daughters studying in the U.S.

He said he was in the middle of a prayer service on Sunday when news of the plane’s disappearance spread. He found it hard to continue with a planned sermon.

“I had to pull myself together to preach,” he said. “What’s happening is not only for the families — I think the tragedy is for Indonesia. Indonesia is crying.”

Fighter Pilot

It wasn’t just the passengers who were mourned. Suwarto, father of Captain Iriyanto who commanded Flight 8501, recalled how his son turned his boyhood dreams of flying fighter jets into reality by joining the air force, climbing to the rank of first lieutenant before piloting commercial flights. Iriyanto’s son, 7, also wants to become a pilot, Suwarto said.

“He was most happy when he flew fighter jets,” Suwarto, 76, said in an interview in the town of Sidoarjo that’s near Surabaya, pausing at times to cry. “His experience in fighter jets makes him very able to fly commercial planes.”

Iriyanto was in the cockpit of Flight 8501 on the morning of Dec. 28 as he set off for what should have been a routine two-hour flight on the heavily traveled route to Singapore. Less than an hour into the flight, over the Java Sea between the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, he requested permission to gain additional altitude because of storms in the area. Before air-traffic controllers could answer, contact with the plane was lost.

While most on the plane were Indonesian, passengers included nationals from Singapore, Malaysia, the U.K. and South Korea.

Park Seong Beom, a 37-year-old Korean missionary, had just recently moved to the city of Malang in East Java with his wife and infant daughter to work as a missionary. The family was traveling to Singapore to renew visas.

Korean Missionary

“He was strong in his faith and wanted to be of service to people more than anything,” said Kim Seong Ryeong, who was Park’s Sunday school teacher and watched him grow up. “We feel devastated that he and his family are missing.”

Some were more lucky. A passenger manifest showed that 26 people who bought tickets didn’t show up for the flight, including former beauty queen Anggi Mahesti, who said she was part of a group of 10 people who missed the plane because they weren’t aware of a change in the plane’s departure time.

Lucky Parishioners

Some members of Happy Family Center church had similar luck. Ricky Martinus, his wife and two-year-old daughter also didn’t notice the changed departure time and missed the flight. They and some friends managed to grab the last seats on a PT Garuda Indonesia flight to Singapore, and learned of their good fortune when they landed.

“They were just crying and praising God,” the church’s pastor said.

The multi-nation search for the aircraft — and the scenes of distraught family members searching for any scrap of information — revived memories of other air tragedies this year.

In March, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 went missing en route to Beijing from Kuala Lumpur. That plane is believed to have crashed in the remote Indian Ocean off the coast of Australia, but more than nine months later not a trace of the plane has been found.

And while the families of passengers on Flight 8501 have learned the fate of that plane, their mourning is just beginning.

“I’m so devastated,” said Dwi Jayanto, whose son, Bhima Aly Wicaksana, had been heading to Singapore with a friend for vacation. “I can only pray, pray and always pray.”

(An earlier version of this story corrected the origin of Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.)

To contact the reporters on this story: Chong Pooi Koon in Kuala Lumpur at; Herdaru Purnomo in Jakarta at

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Anand Krishnamoorthy at Michael S. Arnold, Young-Sam Cho


Write a Reply or Comment:

Your email address will not be published.*