Photo: Quantrell Colbert
Friday Box Office: ‘Cars 3’ Drops 61%, ‘All Eyez On Me’ Plummets 85% – Forbes
In holdover news that isn’t Wonder Woman, Pixar’s Cars 3 earned another $7.57 million on its second Friday, a drop of 61% from its $19.5m opening day. That may look like a lot for an animated film, but it’s not far off from the 58% Friday-to-Friday drop for Finding Dory last summer. And it’s worlds away from the 78% second Friday drop for The Good Dinosaur in November of 2015 and (more importantly) the 69% drop for Cars 2 in 2011. The Walt Disney animated sequel has now earned $82.277m in eight days of domestic release. Offhand, it’s looking like a $26m (-51%) second weekend, which will put the film at $97m in ten days. So, at this early juncture, it’s still looking like a decent over/under $180m domestic total. It’s not a domestic blockbuster, and it will need lots of overseas gas to make it to black, but if the toys sell well enough it’s almost irrelevant.
Next up, somewhat surprisingly, is last weekend’s sleeper shark attack thriller 47 Meters Down. I shamefully haven’t seen this one yet as my wife (obviously) wants to see it so I’m waiting until both of our schedules align. The Mandy Moore picture earned around $2.3 million (-48%) on its second Friday for a likely $7m (-37%) second weekend and solid $23.85m ten-day total. I’d like to think this one will play well over the holiday, but we’ll see. In grimmer second weekend news, All Eyez On Me sank like a stone on its second Friday, earning just $1.89m (-85%) on Friday for a likely $6.17m (-77%) second weekend and $38.96m ten-day total. That’s not bad at all for the Lionsgate/Code Black Tupac Shakur biopic, even if said film somehow cost $40m to produce. We can now expect a $50-$55m domestic total, which means all eyez are on any overseas muscle.
Universal/Comcast Corp.’s The Mummy earned another $1.726 million (-54%) on its third Friday as it lost 1,054 screens. The Tom Cruise horror/action hybrid should make around $5.8m (-60%) over the weekend for a $68.5m 17-day total. It’ll crawl to $80m domestic and then drop dead, especially with Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes roaring into theaters. Walt Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales earned another $1.598m (-33%) for a likely $5.3m (-41%) fifth weekend and $160m domestic total. It’s not great, but it’s also the only “big” live-action movie that isn’t a comic book movie that isn’t embarrassing itself in North America heading into mid-July. Captain Underpants earned $1.45m (-33%) on its fourth Friday for a likely $4.85m (-32%) weekend and $66.3m 24-day cume. That’s not great, even with the $39m budget, but this one is expanding slower than usual for DreamWorks Animation so its race is not yet run.
Rough Night earned around $1.576 million (-53%) on it second Friday for a likely $4.865m (-39%) second weekend and $16.8m ten-day cume. That’s not awful considering the Scarlett Johansson comedy cost just $20m, but we all expected bigger/better things from this one and its relative failure is a genuine tragedy. Sure, Sony has Spider-Man: Homecoming on deck, but they can’t just hold out for Spider-Man movies any more than MGM can survive via periodic 007 movies. Walt Disney and Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 earned $882k on Friday for a likely $3m (-40%) eighth weekend and $380.3m domestic cume. Roadside Attractions expanded the Selma Hayek drama Beatriz at Dinner into 491 screens for a solid $560k (+172%) Friday. We can expect a $1.79m (+156%) weekend and a $2.99m cume for the well-received picture. It’s on my to-do list now that it’s playing at a theater near me.
Finally, Focus Features’ The Book of Henry actually had something resembling legs, earning $310,000 (-39%) on its second Friday for a likely $971k (-32%) second weekend and $3.13 million ten-day cume. It’s not a hit, but I’m pleased it didn’t vanish quite so quickly. It’s a truly original and well-acted little oddity and it didn’t remotely deserve the pile-on it got last week.
If you like what you’re reading, follow @ScottMendelson on Twitter, and “like” The Ticket Booth on Facebook. Also, check out my archives for older work HERE.